Remote (US / Canada)
Job Posted: 2 years, 1 month ago
At Sugar, we make residential properties feel like home by fostering community among residents and integrating deeply with the technology stack that powers modern buildings.
We're looking for an experienced full stack engineer to help us drive our mission forward.
This role is fully and forever remote (US + Canada) and reports to the Lead Software Engineer. If location would prevent you from applying, we urge you to reach out and tell us why.
Working @ Sugar
On top of interesting and impactful work, Sugar provides:
- Sane working hours
- A commitment to using, supporting, and building open-source
- 15 days/year PTO + All major holidays off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Health Insurance Coverage (Sugar pays 80% for employee + dependents)
- $100/month Health + Wellness Stipend (gym membership, yoga classes, massages, therapy, etc.)
- $1000/year professional development stipend (conferences, leadership / communication coaches, books, courses, etc.)
What we're looking for
- You're humble, kind, and incredibly self-aware
- You have 5+ years of experience building consumer-facing applications, or can demonstrate a similar proficiency
- You have a strong command of technologies such as (but not limited to) Django, Postgres, Redis, React/React Native, and GraphQL
- You thrive in an early-stage startup environment, working closely with a tight knit team, learning daily from users, and having autonomy and ownership over the products you build
- You're an excellent communicator, and are able to clearly distill complex topics for both technical and non-technical team members
- You're able to break down large problems down and deeply understand the tradeoffs involved in solving them
- You have experience working with physical access control systems
- You have experience building applications that meet the standards of SOC-2 or ISO-27001 compliance
What interviewing @ Sugar looks like
- 15-60 minute initial phone call with the hiring manager, getting to know who you are, what you're looking for, and what you've built in the past
- 3-5 hour asynchronous homework assignment with no short deadlines
- 3-4 hours of cross-functional (remote) interviews
- No whiteboard coding (but yes whiteboard diagramming!)
The problem space (and opportunity)
Most residential apps are clunky, outdated, and a pain to use. Tasks as simple as paying rent, communicating with your property manager, or unlocking your door are cumbersome and tedious. Many residents feel isolated and disconnected from their neighbors, which is especially relevant in the light of COVID-19 and its impact. This leads to high resident turnover, negative online reviews, and decreased revenue for building owners.
Our users trust us with one of the most personal aspects of their lives - access to their home and their community. As such, we hold ourselves to incredibly high standards of reliability, security, and usability. Building systems that meet these demands is a challenging task.
Some of the engineering problems that we solve on a daily basis include:
- Reliably and securely controlling on-premises hardware and IoT devices in varying network conditions
- Integrating with legacy enterprise software in a way that masks the underlying complexity
- Crafting fluid, intuitive interfaces with sub-100ms interactions on a wide variety of end-user devices
Building the systems that represent the future of residential living is brimming with complexity and opportunity. We'd love your help.