United Kingdom • Remote
$95,000 - $135,000
Job Posted: 1 year, 8 months ago
Datapane (github.com/datapane) is looking for an exceptional and experienced backend engineer to join our team. This role covers both backend web engineering and general Python application/server development.
Our scale and workloads present unique challenges which mean this role is hugely important as we grow. Datapane's public API is the most popular way to share and embedding data science documents on the web. Additionally, we provide both a managed/automated cloud and on-premise solution for customers which includes serverless execution of their data science workloads and hosting of their internal data science reports.
The role covers multiple areas, including:
- The main Django web application, built with Python 3.9 using modern approaches and libraries. This includes web views, and our REST API, built using Django Rest Framework (DRF) and is used both by our web-app and client libraries to build and run data analyses.
- Backend code (primarily in Python) that spans from our web application to the rest of our cloud and on-prem architecture, including payments, devops, data-science processing code, and working with our infrastructure team on serverless execution of customers data science workloads and hosting of their internal data science reports on our highly-available PaaS.
- Our open-source client application used by data scientists and analysts globally to build and upload reports
- Strong Python web backend experience, including 5+ years of professional experience, and be excited to pick up the new technologies and skills - for instance we make use of more modern Python style and features
- Django experience preferred but not required, including server-side rendered views along with JSON APIs
- Knowledge of progressive enhancement techniques such as htmx and AlpineJS would be useful, however frontend/full-stack knowledge not essential
- Familiarity with modern development practices, such as CI/CD, DevOps, Cloud architectures, Docker, Linux would be a big plus
- As a data analytics company, any knowledge of Pandas, numpy, and the associated Python data science and visualisation stack would be useful
You should be interesting in building large-scale, performant web applications that are used by a wide-range of enterprise customers. You should like the idea of releasing to real customers regularly, and prioritise getting a great product into users’ hands for feedback and iteration. You will have extensive scope to build and architect the backend, and to help grow the team in the future.
Please note, we are looking exclusively for full-time, permanent, candidates located within Europe at the moment.