At PostHog, we’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing Engineering team.
PostHog is an open source product analytics platform. We provide product-led teams with everything they need to understand user behaviour, including funnels, session recordings, user paths, multivariate testing and more. PostHog can be deployed to the cloud, or self-hosted on existing infrastructure, removing the need to send data externally.
We started PostHog as part of Y Combinator's W20 cohort and had the most successful B2B software launch on HackerNews since 2012 - with a product that was just 4 weeks old.
We're proudly backed by some of the world's top investors and believe in product-led growth. That means: we build something awesome and let our product bring the users, rather than an outbound sales team and regular cold calls.
Here's how you'll fit into our Engineering Team:
- On the Engineering side, we currently work across three small teams - Core Analytics, Core Experience and Platform. We usually hire for all three teams, and will decide where people’s backgrounds work the best. We also move people across teams at least once a year, to make sure they get to work on different problems and learn new skills.
- We work on a two week sprint basis and we give everyone in the team the opportunity to suggest what they want to build, in order to have the biggest impact on our customers. Everyone chooses what they want to focus on, and they are responsible for tests, user feedback, and tracking.
- You will be working directly with our customers - we have a weekly support hero, who is in charge of all customer questions and inquiries. We also have a customer slack group and we receive a lot of Pull Requests from users every week.
- The technical challenge here is designing a highly scalable product right out of the box when deployed on premise, supporting a wide breadth of features that give users superpowers, and enabling an ecosystem of contributors and plugins from anyone in the world so PostHog becomes a true platform.
What we value:
- We are open source - building a huge community around a free-for-life product is key to PostHog's strategy.
- We aim to become the most transparent company, ever. In order to enable teams to make great decisions, we share as much information as we can. In our public handbook everyone can read about our roadmap, how we pay (or even let go of) people, what our strategy is, and who we have raised money from. We also have regular team-wide feedback sessions, where we share honest feedback with each other.
- Working autonomously and maximizing impact - we don’t tell anyone what to do, everyone chooses what to work on next based on what is going to have the biggest impact on our customers.
- Solve big problems - we haven't built our defining feature yet. We are all about acting fast, innovating and iterating.
- We are fully remote, which allows us to hire amazing people from all over the world, and foster an inclusive culture. We also give ou
What you'll bring:
- You'll have experience with relevant technologies (Python or similar, React or similar, something to do with big data is a bonus)
- You have started a project from scratch. You might have been a founder previously, have built an impressive side project or led a project in our day job.
- You are passionate about product and user experience – customers are at the heart of everything you do!
- You have strong communication skills. We document everything, most of it publicly, so you will need to have strong communication skills.
- You move fast, have a strong bias to action and you don’t shy away from stepping on toes.
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude is just as important as experience!
What we offer in return:
Interested? Find out more:
We believe people from diverse backgrounds, with different identities and experiences, make our product and our company better. That’s why we dedicated a page in our handbook to diversity and inclusion. No matter your background, we'd love to hear from you!
Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you - we're happy to accommodate!
Apply for this job